Wednesday, October 10, 2012

I think I'm getting a hang of these reassessments...

This year, I finally made the full-on SBG jump in all of my Advanced Placement classes (Calculus & Statistics).  I had experimented with it last year in one section of AP Calculus; the one that was tied in with AP Physics, i.e. "Physiculus".  It went okay, but I wasn't a fan of my grading method, my Excel spreadsheet I used to track said grades, and how I went about reassessing standards.

Enter, SBG v.2.0 (now, with more awesomeness!!)

Problem 1:  Tracking Grades:
Last year, I used a self-created Excel spreadsheet that went something like this:  Standards down the left side, assessments along the top, each student in a tab/sheet at the bottom.  I needed a 3-dimensional spreadsheet to make this all work; unfortunately, this was the best I could do.  Was it a pain?  YES!  But, I had to make it work...and it scared others away from trying SBG (sad).

THIS YEAR:  Using ActiveGrade (www.activegrade.com) which is my SAVIOR!  It, in effect, creates and handles the 3rd dimension I was looking for.  Lifesaver.

Problem 2:  Grading Method:
Grading worked as such:  I graded on a 3-point scale (how do you go 'above & beyond' successfully taking a derivative?).  I took the average of their last three attempts at a standard, because I wanted to see what they know now, and not totally penalize them for learning it 'late'.  However, that created the Excel Spreadsheet of Doom Formula of Doom.....oy.

THIS YEAR:  Using ActiveGrade's 75%-25% formula.  Still gives more weight to current knowledge, but does give a little bit of a bump for learning it sooner.  Example:  an assessment of a 1 and then a 3 on a standard average to a 2.5 whereas an assessment of a 2 and then a 3 averages to a 2.75.  Both showing that they've improved at the standard, but the person who learned it 'quicker' gets a little higher grade.

Conversion (because we still need to do so for reporting, and 70% is passing) is as follows:

  • 3 = 100%
  • 2 = 80%
  • 1 = 60%
  • 0 = 40%
Problem 3:  Retakes:
Last year, the "Cycle of 3" sort of acted as its own retake.  Earlier assessments could be eliminated after assessing more times.  However, there was no structure in place to assess individuals that wanted to show mastery.

THIS YEAR:  I finally got around to reorganizing my standards into units.  I just based my objectives off of the AP Standards, but didn't reorganize them until this year (why I didn't right away is beyond me).  So, this year, after every section in a unit, I assess on the standards covered in that unit.  In AP Calc, it's 2 15-minute quizzes a week.  In AP Stats, it's 1 or 2 quizzes a week.  Then at the end of each quarter (approximately every 2 units), I do a midterm that covers multiple standards that we have used that quarter.

As for the reassessment portion (here's the revelation on my end): at the end of each unit, I offer a retake opportunity.  I create an assessment with ALL the standards listed in order from the unit.  Each standard has 1-3 questions in it.  The students just then reassess the standards that they choose.  No setting up separate appointments, no coming in from study halls.  One time.  One test.

Today was my first attempt at this.  I ran my AP Calc and AP Statistics reassessments and 22 students came in to reassess with more coming tomorrow due to prior commitments.  I only have 57 total AP students, so this is a huge start in my mind to them wanting to do better.  They're focused on what specific topics they need to improve, and they're doing something about it!!

I have never been this happy with reassessments, but I think I may be on to something.  Now, about grading them.....


No comments:

Post a Comment